Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Horrors of Cutting Back on Caffeine

During times of stress, caffeine has started making me jittery, so I am trying to cut back. I've never been an insane caffeine drinker, but I do like a large travel mug in the morning, and often a tea or a Diet Coke as an afternoon pick me up. Maybe a second cup during my midmorning plan period if the situation is really dire.  This week, all I've done is eliminate the afternoon hit. I am limited to just one morning cup, and I am trying not to fill my great big mug all the way.

You guys, I feel like I am living underwater. Everything is moving in slow motion. Were my students always this loud? Surely they were not always this loud. Was my room always this big? I don't want to walk all the way over there. 

It's not like I was having an afternoon jolt every day. It was more of a 2-3 times per week thing, but just knowing I had the option made everything look more manageable. I knew that even if I was wiped after school, I could drink my tea, read a book, and be ready with a second wind around dinner time.

Now, there is no wind. There is only water. So much water.

I have made a line on my coffee bag. Once I hit that line, I am going to begin cutting my normal morning coffee with decaf. Each morning, I sniff the beans, and I squeeze the bag as if I'm checking its ripeness. But every day, I get a little closer to that black line. That horrible, nasty, no-good black line.

Wish me luck. You may soon be witnessing my slow descent into madness.

5 comments:

  1. I could feel your lack of caffeine and your fog with the words you wrote! I need to be caffeinated twice a day otherwise I cannot make it through dinner. Why are we so dependent? Does it really make all the difference? Like you said, it is just knowing that it is there that makes it better! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go off caffeine once. You captured that experience perfectly - the fogginess, the sensitivity to noise. Are you experiencing any headaches? For me, that was the worst. The good news is, in a few days, you'll be fine. It's just getting through those few days that are a trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No headaches! I tried cold turkey once, and it was terrible, so I am weaning off slowly this time!

      Delete
  3. I can tell you are really spying on yourself so you can write bit by bit what you feel like with and without caffeine. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a two cup a day coffee drinker, I feel your pain. But it will get easier, I'm sure. Hang in there. Love the writing!

    ReplyDelete