Sunday, March 10, 2019

Pi Day is Coming Up!

3. Today is
1 the
4 day I will start
1 to
5 make plans for  Pi Day.
9 Even though I'm an English teacher,
2 I can
6 also appreciate
5 the majesty of
3 this figure,
5 irrational in
9 an ocean of logic and order.

On Thursday, my students will be writing Pi-ku! I considered waiting for Thursday or Friday to write about this, but I learned about it too late two years ago and was awfully disappointed. Fortunately, I got to do it last year, and it was a huge hit!

Pi-ku is a fun pun on the word "haiku." Each line of the poem is the same number of syllables as the corresponding digit of pi, so the poem could theoretically go on forever. I offered a prize for the longest correct piku last year, and my students did not disappoint! The winner was over seventy lines long. It's one of my sillier lessons, but it goes a long way toward fostering a joyous relationship with writing during a time of year when we are otherwise bogged down with test prep and the impending end of the quarter. It also does a great job of demonstrating the relationship between math and poetry, something I LIVE FOR that often goes completely unacknowledged.

So often, our more analytical students are turned off to creative writing because it is so subjective. Not so with metered poetry! Where many people feel restricted by rules, I (and many of our students) find it motivating. It gives you a framework to hang ideas from, much like vines crawling up a trellis. It can also foster creativity in more reserved students because it presents writing more like a puzzle to be solved, rather than a nebulous "thing" to be created. 

If you try this in your classroom, let me know how it goes! The students who struggle or succeed with it may surprise you.

11 comments:

  1. Ok this is a super clever way to celebrate Pi. I caught on before reading your explanation but was glad for it and your words of wisdom. Enjoy Pi-ku writing with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also an English teacher who celebrates Pi Day and I am going to totally steal your Pi-ku idea! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea!! I'm going to try it with my students!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to celebrate Pi day! I might have to tuck this one away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I wrote down to try pi-ku this year and then when I googled it, couldn't find anything. I'm going with this number related poem for imitation. https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/living-numbers Maybe I'll give two options now that I remember what the heck pi-ku is! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that number poem! I might have to use that as well. Thank you for sharing!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a really cool, clever, fun idea! Thanks for sharing!!! :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  8. My crazy husband decided to bake a pie from scratch for his office's Pi(e) Day celebration. It's 9:22pm and I'm (not so patiently) waiting up with him as it bakes. Grrrrrr! Pi ku sounds like a better plan! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete