Friday, March 1, 2019

The First Day of My First SOLSC

Today is the first day of my first time doing the Slice of Life Story Challenge. Eeeeek! One of my New Year's resolutions was to do more things that make me uncomfortable, so here we are.

In addition to my nerves from embarking on this writing adventure, I am feeling a little trepidation today. Out of nowhere, a good childhood friend of mine invited me over to her new home to play games with some of my other old friends. We were close once, but over the years, we've lost touch. I left for boarding school at sixteen and went out of state for college while they all stayed relatively nearby. How long does it take good friends to become strangers? Will we still have as much in common as we did when we were fifteen? What if they have so many inside jokes that I can't understand them at all?

All of a sudden, I feel like a tween again.

(Not to mention, my doctor put me on muscle relaxers to fix a back injury caused by my too-heavy teacher bag (oops), so there's about a 50/50 chance I will just pass out on the table at 8 pm.)

At the same time, I am, of course, excited to see them! I think about this particular set of friends all the time because they were the people I was closest to when I was the same age as my students. At lunch, in the long-ago times before cell phones and iPads, we would draw elaborate comics about Bob the Evil Banana Dictator and his strawberry henchmen. (Losing this notebook remains one of my greatest regrets.) Today, as I teach my classes about personification, I find myself telling them all about Bob and his antics as I watch them draw their own eerily similar versions.

Even as we've spent years apart, our paths have run parallel. All of us became teachers. Several of us live in the same town adjacent to our hometown. All of us married young or are in long-term relationships. I imagine we'll all have children roughly the same age, maybe even in the same school system.  So much in my life reminds me of them on a daily basis that, in my mind, it often doesn't feel like we've spent any time apart at all. Here's hoping it feels that way in person as well!

Click here to learn more about Slice of Life.



10 comments:

  1. Congrats on facing two fears in one day! You are very brave. I hope things go well with your old friends and that you fall into the old comfort you used to have together. I hope the SOL Challenge becomes more comfortable, too ( althogh there will be those days when you wonder why the heck you decided to do it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your resolution and plan to borrow it next year: do more of what makes me uncomfortable. What a great way to focus on growth, rather than fixing bad habits. I love the language!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about the SOL challenge! It is my first time participating and I'm terrified! Here's to new adventures :)
    The feelings you have about seeing your old friends is also something I can relate to. I went away to college and then became a military spouse so I haven't been home in almost a decade! Every time I get with my high school friends I feel a sense of home but always feel a bit like an outsider. I think because that is just the fact. I went away and they didn't. But I continue to stay grateful for the continued relationship and friendship that has lasted the years and the distance! I hope it is a fun experience for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely relate to both this particular challenge (my first time, too) as well as walking through the fear of the possibly uncomfortable social situations--human beings are so funny (I say that responsibly). I have not been back to my high school stomping grounds, mostly because of the distance, but also the apprehension tends to stop me from even make plans! On the other hand, I'd love to see some of my old friends (we are now all in our 50s!). SO good for you--and thanks for your inspirational piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kuddos for being a risk-taker and joining the March slice of life writing challenge! I hope you will enjoy the daily blogging! Wishing you fun time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Through your comparison between your friends before and what you are anticipating, the tension built in your slice. I want to know more and hope you write about your evening with your friends. Congrats on day 1! It is a scary task but this community is awesome and I hope the comments keep you going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you decided to join the slicing community! I hope that you'll write a post about the evening!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the slicing challenge! I have seven friends from high school (we call ourselves the EJD's - eight jelly donuts!) and we still get together every couple of years. The best part of it is that we pick up right where we left off! It's as if time has stood still, with a few exceptions! :) I am sure the same will happen to you today! Enjoy...even with the muscle relaxers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a first time slicer, also! I enjoyed reading your post. I was reminded of some of my longtime friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to have some time with old friends! I want to hear more about boarding school too!

    ReplyDelete