Friday, March 15, 2019

Four Haiku Born Out of Criticism

My first class of the day is full of several students who like to challenge me. One recently criticized me for not completing my own version of their writing assignments. I don't think it's always necessary to do that, but I do like to be a writing role model for them, so I wrote a few haiku the other day as they worked on theirs:

Dandelion seeds
all blown away except two
hairy wishkillers.

A smell of grass in
lying March afternoon, a
morning crust of frost.

He is reading when
he's supposed to be writing,
but I do not care.

"That's cute that you think
they'll use a library card."
"At least they'll have one."

The last is a real conversation I had that day with a coworker. My big plans for our field trip to the library have been met with less enthusiasm than I had hoped for. Hopefully the experience of actually doing it will change a few minds!

Happy Friday!

8 comments:

  1. I am going to go through the rest of the day and smile, or chuckle, every time I think "hairy wishkillers". A library card is a ticket to last a lifetime, not a once in lifetime chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that your trip to the library goes better than anyone expects! Did you happen to meet with Jane about planning it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love hairy wishkillers!! So great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey if criticism leads to wonderful poetry like this...let them speak out each day! "hairy wishkillers" had me giggling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great poem. I hope the library trip is a success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, Grace, I also love the term "hairy wishkillers!"

      Delete