Thursday, March 14, 2019

Remedial Handwork

"Ms. Hilsmier, hand work!"

Yikes! Another pop quiz, and I am totally unprepared. Miss Student has been trying to teach me this dance move for months, but I just don't get it. I raise my hands above my head and awkwardly bump my wrists together, twirling them slowly around each other. I'm sure I'm going the wrong direction, but the right way never feels "correct" either.

Miss Student sighs. She purses her lips and shakes her head. Why didn't I practice?

"How come you still can't do this?" she demands. "I've taught you so many times!"

I smile. "Now you know how I feel!"

"Ms. Hilsmier," my teacher says, "how come you expect us to learn all this stuff, when you still don't even get this after all this time?"

She's not wrong. I'd like to go slower. I'd like to dive deep into individual concepts, cherishing and savoring them until some students could teach their own course on it and others at least understand. There is so much I want to say to her about curriculum maps, pacing guides and mastery frameworks.

Instead, I just smile and tell her she's right, and class begins.

6 comments:

  1. Wow- such a great moment where everyone is gaining insight. I love how you start with dialog, jumping right into the moment. Also, I went to the video and I COULD NOT figure out how to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the tables are turned and the student is the teacher. It is good for us to see things from students' perspectives, it is rear, but good for students to see things from the teacher's POV.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have kids doing this in class and I had no idea what it was! Thank you for teaching this student today! Great lesson for both of you!

    ReplyDelete