Monday, March 11, 2019

Another Number Poem Inspired by "Living In Numbers"

Today I tried my hand at an imitation of the poem Living in Numbers by Claire Lee. Thank you to Tracy Brosch for the suggestion in a comment on yesterday's post! It's just a rough draft, but I had fun writing it. I could see it being a great way to talk to kids about making meaningful choices in our writing, both about what we include and what we exclude. I may try this again with more long term numbers like Lee uses in her original poem.

Teaching in Numbers

Friday, March 9th

Number of times I pushed the snooze button: 2
Fluid ounces of coffee: 6, then 10 more after the coffee pot malfunctioned
Granola bars packed: 3
Granola bars eaten before class: 0.25
Copies made: 0
Students present: 25
Students smiling: 10
Ungraded papers: 196
Stress level: 8
Hugs: 0


Monday, March 11th

Number of times I pushed the snooze button: 4
Fluid ounces of coffee: 12
Fast food breakfast sandwiches: 1
Copies made: 210
Students present: 20
Students smiling: 18
Ungraded papers: 257
Stress level: 2
Hugs: 3

3 comments:

  1. I am sad that your ungraded papers has gone from 196 to 247, but the fact that your stress level has dropped from 8 to 2 and the number of smiling students has gone from 10 to 18 is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this format because it is insightful with so few words and a couple of numbers-it paints a picture of your day in such a playful form. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is a powerful poem that is so simple yet telling!

    ReplyDelete