Tuesday, February 12, 2019

My First "Slice of Life" #sol19

I'm new to this whole "slice of life" thing, and if you are, too, check out Two Writing Teachers to learn more.

For the first time in a long while, I woke up completely naturally on a weekday. Everything was perfect: the memory foam pillow (with cooling technology!) cradling my head, the warm doughy comforter wrapped all around me, savagely tucked under my body to prevent sharing with other creatures, the soft, gray light of an overcast February morning. I couldn't believe how happy and well-rested I felt.

Then, I really couldn't believe it.

Then, I remembered that it hasn't been light out when I've woken up for months.

Then, I noticed my alarm clock was blinking.

Unleashing a string of words unbecoming of a role model for children, I hatched my way out of my comforter and checked my Fitbit as I ran down the stairs: 6:45 am. Only twenty five minutes before I needed to be at work, a twenty-five minute drive away.

(I know, I know "set an alarm on your phone." Call me old school, but I have a strict "no phone in the bedroom" policy. If you couldn't tell from the memory foam pillow and the no-sharing blanket policy, sleep is very important to me.)

I made it through three of the five stages of grief in about thirty seconds.

Denial: I can still make it! I'll call my buddy, and she can put copies on my desk and....

Anger: NOPE, that is not going to work. I can't believe I did that. I just reset the clocks in the kitchen, too. Shoot! (Pepper swearwords throughout. Use your imagination!)

Bargaining: Who do I need to sweet talk to get someone to cover my class for 20 minutes? Do I have time to shower? If I shower, do I have time for coffee? Shower? or coffee?

Just as I was about to give up hope of smelling nice today (because after sleep, nothing is more important than coffee), I picked up my phone. I had missed texts, voicemails, e-mails, and an assortment of other things. I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

You see, those who know me and love me and accept my flaws know that I cannot be relied upon to check my phone even once per day. If I forget it at home or at work, I don't even give it a second thought and just go without. (#NotAllMillennials)

Since it is well known that calling me is useless, an early morning storm of voicemails, Facebook notifications, and text messages can mean only one thing, that glorious thing that reminds us all of the perks of being a teacher:

E-learning Day!



9 comments:

  1. Fabulous description of being all cozied up in your bed and the 5 stages of grief in 30 seconds! Welcome to slicing and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of an e-learning day, but I like it! This is a true "slice," Grace. Great job! I'm not seeing your link on the TWT page, though. Don't forget to add it here -- https://twowritingteachers.org/2019/02/12/sol-tuesday-38/ -- so the slicing community can comment on your post. Cheers! -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An e-learning day is basically a snow day, but if you work in a 1:1 district, you can post work online for kids to do, and it counts as a full day of school, so you don't have to make it up in the summer.

      Delete
  3. Thrilled to see someone who isn't beholden to their phone! Good on you!

    Also thrilling is that you'll be joining us for the SOLSC! WELCOME! (My apologies it took me awhile to moderate your comment. I didn't get into my home office until 9 p.m. this evening since I had both kids home for the second snow day in a row.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. We all have busy lives. I get it! Thanks for creating this. People have been urging me to try it for a long time, and I'm glad I did!

      Delete
    2. I'm delighted you've signed up for the March challenge.

      Delete
  4. Of all days for this to happen! LUCKY YOU! ha ha
    Welcome to the slicers!

    ReplyDelete